River City Café prides itself on being a family friendly restaurant. We have been named, “Best place to feed the kids”, “Best Burger Place in South Carolina”, and have been voted “Best of the Beach” burgers and fries year after year by our faithful locals. We always consider families when we approach anything from menu adjustments to decorations. So in this period of uncertainty it feels natural for us to think about the families we love to serve.
With that in mind, we recognize that there are many families stuck at home with little to occupy their time and parents are stressing over how they are going to occupy their children after they complete their school work. So we decided to come up with a few ideas for you!
- Complete a puzzle: The more pieces the better! Looking for an even bigger challenge? Why not learn to solve that Rubik’s Cube. There are many YouTube videos that will give you a step by step explanation.
- Watch some really long movies, get caught up on that Netflix documentary, or binge watch a kid’s movie series! Don’t forget the popcorn and if you need a break in the middle, remember, we are open for Carry Out and Curbside Pickup!
- Learn a new language. There are several free apps you can download on your smart phone or tablet that will help you with pronunciation, verb conjugation and conversation in a foreign tongue.
- Read that book you keep promising to read. “Moby Dick” or “Les Miserables” have waited long enough. Or better yet, read a book out loud with your family. “The Chronicles of Narnia” or the “Harry Potter” series are sure to keep the kids engaged.
- Look at pictures of puppies. How do you not get excited about this one! They are puppies!
- Create a family vision board. Have you been wanting to do something as a family? Take a big trip? Go for a family hike? Start by putting together a plan for everyone to see! You can check out Pinterest for some really good ideas.
- Organize your Tupperware. We know, we know. But the cabinet could probably use it. Besides now is a great time to get rid of all the pieces that don’t have a match.
- Host a family fashion show. But mix it with some tips from Marie Kondo. If you put something on and if doesn’t make you happy, donate it!
- Take it one step further. Go through all of your junk drawers and supply shelves. If you don’t get happy holding the item, or it needs a match and doesn’t have it, throw it away.
- Bake with the kids. Actually, check out the blog post over at the Ultimate California Pizza page to see how to make your own pizza dough.
- Make a blanket. You can order kits from Walmart or Amazon and make a blanket. There are many options, colors, and patterns you could choose. You can never have to many blankets at home!
- Draw family silhouette. Even though most of us have been quarantined, it is spring time. That means plenty of sun to cast a shadow. Place a piece of paper along the wall, have each person take a turn casting their shadow and draw the outline of their face.
- Coloring books aren’t just for kids! Coloring is something everyone can enjoy.
- Family yoga sessions! Thank goodness for YouTube right! There are yoga lessons for the very beginner all the way to the experienced Yogi.
- Research your family history. Where does your family come from? How many generations of your family have lived in your current country of residence? How far back can you trace your family tree?
We know that being forced to stay home can be stressful. The best part about this list is that most of them are free and you already have them in your home. But we do hope that this list of 15 things you can do with your family will help you defeat some of the quarantine blues. From our family to yours, stay safe, stay healthy and we look forward to you joining us soon!